Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Introduction to the Chicken, Stuffing and Bacon "Hobo"

I am going to be honest with you.  I am lazy.  I really like easy dinners that have not a ton of prep work.  Don't get me wrong, I am all for food labor as long as the result is something delicious.  But I really struggle with foods that have a long prep time listed in the recipe.  Unless it is something you can start and then walk away from.  Those get an immediate pass from me.

As I skim through recipes, the ones that have a short list of ingredients and that don't have a ton of steps usually end up at the top of my "to try" list.  Or on Pinterest....my "Likes".  I don't repin anything to my food board unless it is tried and true.  And any that don't pass the test are swiftly unliked.

Anywhooooo....have you ever heard of a Hobo?  In terms of food....not in terms of someone that lives on the streets?  I am new to this food term.  But maybe because I am not a die-hard camper where these make their origin?  At any rate, there was a recipe for this Chicken "hobo" and what drew me in like a moth to a flame were the following keywords: bacon, cheese, ranch and stuffing.  Ummmm yes I will be attempting this "Hobo".

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
3 cups of broccoli florets
3 cups of chicken flavored Stovetop stuffing
3/4 cup of Cheddar cheese shredded
3 slices of bacon cookied and broken into little pieces
4 Tablespoons of ranch dressing
Salt/Pepper
Cooking spray
water


One of my favorite parts about this "hobo" is that you don't have to pre-prep the food at all, aside from mixing water in with the stuffing.  I will say that if you are going to use broccoli, don't waste your money on the bag of broccoli cuts.  Do you know what broccoli cuts are?  They are the leftovers from the bags of broccoli florets.  Usually I end up with 3/4 of a bag of the broccoli stalk and then some pretty sad looking "trees".  But you could also use a different veggie here.  Zucchini or squash maybe? Green beans? Cut out the veggie all together? I think it could probably work with anything.  Although I am not sure I would try a potato, something tells me it wouldn't cook all the way through and you would end up with weird undercooked crunchy pieces.  Mbbgguuuh.....that is the sound of me throwing up in my mouth a little.

First mix the stuffing with just enough water so it softens just a little and doesn't collect at the bottom of the bowl.  I started with 3/4 cup and slowly added more.  While that sits, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and cut 4 pieces of tin foil large enough to wrap your "hobo". I have been getting Reynolds wrap non-stick and it is a life changer.  It is thicker so it doesn't tear quite as easily.  And there is nothing worse than taking a bite of food and chomping down on a piece of foil.  Aaaacckkkkk I just got chills from the thought of it.  Anyhow, even though I buy the non-stick, I still spray it with cooking spray as a little insurance.  And butter flavored Pam is just the ticket!

Next divide the stuffing evenly on the 4 foil packets.  Then divide the chicken evenly on the stuffing.  Salt and pepper the chicken.....very important so to not have bland chicken.  Then divide the broccoli evenly on the chicken, follow suite with the cheese.  Then with the bacon, and then with the ranch. Ok I'll be honest, I didn't actually measure the ranch because we use the squirt bottle kind so I just drizzled the top with each.  I figured there was maybe 1 tablespoon on each?


Next wrap up the foil, but not too tight because you want the heat to circulate inside (apparently the oven doesn't circulate enough).  Place on cookie cheets and bake for 40 min. 




Remove from oven and let sit for 5 min.  ***Important note*** Take a knife and poke holes in the top of the foil to let steam escape.  Otherwise you could be faced with a pretty nasty steam burn.  And then that burn turns to a blister.  And then that blister pops.  And then you can get a scar.  Not to mention, it hurts like a S.O.a.B.!!!

Once you have opened this "hobo" you will see this:


I know this photo won't be winning any beauty awards, but once you start eating it you get the garlicy stuffing, juicy cheesy chicken and cheesy bacony ranch all over.  It was super good.  And the serving is much larger than in looks in this pic. Each packet was 437 calories according to my ingredients; I used reduced fat cheddar, and turkey bacon.  I REFUSE REFUSE REFUSE to buy light Ranch.  I can't stomach it. 

But this "hobo" will definitely be made again.  I give it a 5.5 out of 6 on the cheesewheel because it was easy, fiet friendly and clean-up consists of throwing away foil.  WIN!!






1 comment: